Wednesday, August 03, 2005

making sense...

Like every organizational head sends out inspirational write-ups and encouraging insights, the head of the organization I work for also decided to send across a mailer with similar stuff. At the face value, it seemed verry pseudo to receive such a mailer, but the moment i started reading, it made so much sense, and I definitely found it very helpful.

His words of wisdom and experience, like any man of his stature and status, came with a lot of weight, which wasn't that hard to digest eventually.

I do not know if I am breaking copyrights etc, but I thought i should share his words with the junta who frequent my blog :)

So here goes

...The first thing I have learnt is that we must always begin with our strengths. From the earliest years of our schooling, everyone focuses on what is wrong with us. While it is important for us to know what we are not good at, we must also cherish what is good in us. That is because it is only our strengths that can give us the energy to correct our weaknesses.

The second lesson I have learnt is that a rupee earned is of far more value than five found. I have found that nothing gives as much satisfaction as earning our rewards. In fact, what is gifted or inherited follows the old rule of come easy, go easy. I guess we only know the value of what we have if we have struggled to earn it.

The third lesson I have learnt is no one bats a hundred every time. Life has many challenges. We win some and lose some. We must enjoy winning but not let success go to our head. If we do, we are already on our way to failure. We also need to treat any failure we meet along the way as an equally natural phenomenon. We need to accept our own share in the problem, learn from it and move on. The important thing is, when we lose, we must not lose the lesson.

The fourth lesson I have learnt is the importance of humility. Sometimes, when we get so much in life, we really start wondering whether we deserve all of it. This is the value of gratitude.

The fifth lesson I learnt is that we must always strive for excellence. One way of achieving excellence is by looking at those better than ourselves. We must never let ego prevent us from learning what others do differently. But excellence cannot be imposed from the outside. It must become an obsession, involving not only our mind but also our heart and soul. Excellence is not an act but a habit. Ultimately, our only competition is our self.

The sixth lesson I have learnt is never give up in the face of adversity. I am sure you would know more about this than anyone else. Persistence is what is required to keep going. Once you have made up your mind that you will work towards your target, your vision, the adversity just crumbles.

The seventh lesson I have learnt is that while we must be open to change, we cannot compromise on our values. Mahatma Gandhiji often said that you must open the windows of your mind, but do not be swept off your feet by the breeze. We must define what our core values are and what we stand for.

The eighth lesson I have learnt is that we must always play to win. Playing to win is not the same as playing dirty. Playing to win is stretching ourselves and others to the hilt. It is about discovering our own potential and using it to the fullest.


...

Do let me know your reactions :)

3 Comments:

At 3:04 AM, Blogger Sanj said...

Hmm pretty interesting - quite helpful I'd agree - thanks for sharing it here. [I doubt if general wisdom can be copyrighted by anybody ;-) ]

Reminds me of this speech by Steve Jobs

One thing I feel differently about is "a rupee earned is of far more value than five found".

Came across this quote here:
Keep your day job. The creative person has two kinds of jobs. One is the sexy, creative kind. Second is the kind that pays the bills.

I believe its ideal if a fellow gets a job he loves, or manages to love whatever job he already has. But if case neither is the case (as it is, I speculate, with plenty of junta), then maybe money earned is equally valuable as money "found" (eg through inheritance, etc), it enables him to persue other things of greater interest!

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Sanj said...

PS:

[Btw this is merely a speculation, as I've somehow ended up having earned all of my own money]

The satisfaction he would've got by earning the money and then declaring himself as independent, he can get the same satisfaction by multiplying the money he has found, in creative ways, and making others benefit from it as well as a side effect.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Akshay said...

Tsunamiyana

http://bandlimitedlife.blogspot.com/2005/05/beautiful-lessons-of-life_09.html

Yes it was also published in the papers and it means a lot very well written and it does make sense.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home